Wednesday, December 14, 2005

worse, worser

Of course something like this has to happen when I'm at such a low point. On Friday night, I was walking out to my car in a grocery store parking lot, slipped on ice that I didn't see, and snapped my leg right above my ankle. It's fractured in two places, on both sides of the leg.
Luckily there were some other people right there who saw what happened, and called an ambulance right away. After arriving at the emergency room, they determined that I need surgery, to insert some sort of pin and plate, or bracing device.
I went back to see the orthopedic surgeon yesterday, but they won't be operating until at least next week, because of the swelling and soft tissue damage.

I do want to say that everyone at Hershey Medical Center has been great, the ER people, orthopedic people, and also the financial department(it looks like I'll be covered either by the state or the hospital's own assistance program).

Still, this is just the last thing I needed. On my right leg, so I can't drive, I have to use crutches and can't put any weight on it, the most basic activities take ten times as much energy, and it just generally sucks.
It was like some sort of NFL injury that you see on t.v., and cringe--I soon as I hit the ground, I could see the bones shifting back and forth. It hurt like hell, of course. The one comic aspect of the whole incident was when a store employee came outside and started throwing salt on the ground, after I was lying there in agony.

So how was your weekend?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Michael. I'm so sorry. That sounds really, really painful. :(

I hope your surgery will go well, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home