Sunday, December 04, 2005

There and back

The performance last night went well, although there were a couple snags leading up to it. After arriving at my friend's place in Erie, I realized that I forgot to bring my microphones. But she informed me that the PA system included mics and stands, so no worries. Then I open my guitar case, and realize that I didn't have any picks, which was annoying because I could have sworn that I had put them in there. So I go to a music store nearby and buy a bag of them.

After that, everything was fine, although I was nervous leading up to it, since I haven't played in front of others much at all. There was a little stage in the corner of the room, and I said something about not wanting to be the center of attention. The woman in charge of the event said something like "since when does a musician not want to be noticed?" Luckily, the whole thing was casual, most of the people were talking amongst themselves, drinking and eating, while I was playing. But afterwards, everyone said it sounded good, including my friend. She made a valid point, which was that she wouldn't have asked me to play there if she didn't think I was decent.

So, I got a needed bit of confidence, and hopefully I'll be able to play out more, in venues where the main focus is the music. After the party, we went out to the Docksider in downtown Erie and saw a really good local band called the Starfish. It was a nice night, with snow falling and that neat glow and hushed sound that comes with it.
So now I'm back. The five hour drive each way can be a drag, but it was worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home