Thursday, December 31, 2009

Big Zero?

I guess that's how Paul Krugman described this past decade, and I have to agree for the most part it's been a disaster--9/11, Iraq war, Katrina disaster, trampling on civil rights, fearmongering and paranoia, total financial meltdown, global warming, etc.
But there were some bright spots, particularly towards the end--historic presidential election, reversing course on failed policies, actually trying to achieve healthcare for all, and for me personally--a good job, a new place of my own, and re-dedicated to music with the equipment I've wanted for years now.
Another big bright spot was joining the old novaforums and meeting people from all around the world who are still friends to this day.
Can't say much for new music, compared to the 90s it really sucked, at least as far as rock music is concerned. Now everyone listens to music by game show winners. Geez. But on the other hand, a whole new world opened up with the music blogs and everyone producing and posting their music online with a great communal spirit. Of course this meant the well-deserved death of the major labels, and that probably contributed to the lack of major acts with national and international followings. It's more a matter of searching for things you like online and more niche-markets. Sure there are still gonna be national acts who break through on a larger scale, but I just don't think there will be as many of them because the music scene has become even more fragmented. I think we're still seeing how it all plays out, but I think in the long run it will be a good thing and that the cream will always rise to the top.
I'm not saying my stuff is the cream, but it's always how I've expressed myself--as opposed to journal writing or whatever--so get ready for a steady stream of music that was written almost 15 years ago and right up through today. For me, it's just something I keep doing, even with long periods of down time, I still can't imagine not having a guitar to strum, listening to the music of others and writing my own.
I might even get something posted before the end of today, the year, the decade.
To everyone else who's glad to say goodbye to the Big Zero, here's to better days ahead.
Sorry, can't think of anything else that isn't cliche--Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home