Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mountain Country

I spent last Saturday at a friend's family house in the woods near Huntingdon, Pa. We went to a great little bar called Boxers in Huntingdon that evening. The band that played there stayed out with us at the house, and they rehearsed while everyone else drank and partied Saturday afternoon, along with some nice hikes through the woods. What a nice day it was, I'm glad I got out. The drive from Carlisle(where my friend lives) out there was great as well, we stayed off the turnpike and soaked up the scenery.
Wish I could remember the name of the band, but they were great--a violin, guitar, and flute/harmonica player, and they all sang. The guitarist had an especially great voice. They played a lot of older stuff, but great arrangements--especially a version of the Allman Brothers' "Jessica".

Other updates--I signed the lease for a new apartment, and should be moving in sometime in June. It's a nice place, spacious, all the appliances, a nice balcony, swimming pool, etc. Not the house I was hoping to get by now, but my first year of rent can be applied to purchase one of the developer's homes. But after this weekend, I wonder if I'm contributing to the problem by living someplace that was probably built on old farmland, or just woods. Although it is right next to a main road, so maybe not. Anyway, it's also close to a state park area that has a great view of the Susquehanna River, and it's pretty much the same distance to Lancaster, York or Harrisburg. I got central Pennsylvania covered.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is having my privacy again. I can spend the summer playing and recording, and get the "album" out before I turn 40 and this decade ends. Geez, let's not think about that for a while. Anyway, it should be a good summer, even if it means I have to be careful with spending for the first time in a long time.
My fortunes seem to run counter to the rest of the world. When things were still going well back in 2004-2005, I had lost my job and was struggling to find anything as good as I had. When things started to turn south last year, I had worked my way back into a good job in the legal profession and had taken care of most of my money worries. But having my own place again gives me the freedom to work on music without feeling self-conscious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home