Sunday, February 05, 2006

The next Elvis...


Many songwriters over the years have been compared to Elvis Costello due to their great lyrical abilities, but I've never thought the comparison was so apt as it is with Thea Gilmore. The poetry just seems to pour out of her, and combined with a lot of very melodic and catchy tunes, I'm surprised that she's not getting more attention. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but with all of the other "next big things" coming from the U.K., here's one that's really worthy of such praise.

She's certainly not some flash in the pan, she's already released several albums, and I don't think she's even twenty-five yet. Like with EC's early work, I like almost every song, but here's one called "Benzedrine"(from Rules for Jokers) . It's got a great little cello part, and I always like cello. Click the link for the download--

Thea Gilmore--"Benzedrine"


and what the heck, one of my favorites from her most recent album Avalanche--

Thea Gilmore--"Heads Will Roll"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home