Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Steam Power Outage

I received an email from Jeff at the Steam Powered Studio, informing me(as a very minor sponsor) that his site was down, and not sure when it might be up. Hopefully it's soon, I had intended to ask for his assistance with my own endeavor. I think I posted about this before, but he's been trying a different approach for an independent musician. No record label, instead he asks people who like his music, and the music of many other artists who he produces and posts on the site, to be a sponsor or patron. As he writes and records new material, it's posted to download for free. The goal is to receive enough support from sponsors so that he can work at his craft without the arbitrary pressures of a record label and release dates, or music executives second-guessing what you do. At least, that's sort of what I think the goal is.

Anyway, I think it's good to see a musician trying something completely different. If it works for visual artists, I don't see why it can't work with music. I'm pretty sure that many classical composers had patrons, since they didn't have record deals back then.
So, whenever the site's back up, be sure to check it out, especially anyone who happens to live in the Lancaster Pennsylvania area. It's an eclectic mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home