Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Michael Chabon

I'd say that he's my favorite contemporary author. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh is definitely one of my favorite novels.

I bought a cheap DVD of the movie Wonder Boys (based on Chabon's second novel), and remembered how much I liked it. I was surprised it didn't get more recognition, it's one of Michael Douglas' best performances in recent years.
Then I compared it to another movie which I've watched repeatedly, Lost in Translation, and realized that they have some similarities. Both are about 50-something men with past greatness, but who find themselves unsure of where to go or what to do next.
Also, the cities in which the two films are set (Tokyo for Lost, Pittsburgh for Wonder Boys) play an important role in each. I suppose I like Wonder Boys in part because I used to live in Pittsurgh, and I think the film captures the gloomy beauty and uniqueness of that place.
There's even a special feature on the DVD where Curtis Hanson describes the background of various places throughout the city where the scenes are set. Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other city in the U.S., and they serve as a metaphor.

I saw Lost in Translation last year when I was going through upheaval in my life, and it actually inspired a song--one of those kind that you write in less than 30 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home